Does your health insurance travel with you?
Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Utah is committed to providing its members with comprehensive coverage, even when they are traveling outside of Utah. As a member, you have access to the largest network of doctors and hospitals throughout the country with the BlueCard program. This means that you can easily find in-network providers wherever you go in the United States, and in most cases, you won't need to pay for services upfront.
The BlueCard coverage benefit is included for emergency and urgent care services on all the Utah Regence BlueCrossBlueShield Marketplace plans. If you'd like to see if a Regence plan is right for you, contact a local agent at Utah Avenue Insurance today.
If you're traveling internationally, Regence also offers coverage through the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core program. Before your trip, be sure to call Regence Customer Service to get information about your international coverage. You can then visit the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core website or download their app to see if there is an in-network hospital at your destination. It's best to print off a copy of the closest hospital to where you are traveling to in case of an emergency. If you receive inpatient services at an in-network hospital, you shouldn't need to pay upfront. However, for outpatient care or care that isn't arranged through Global Core, you may need to pay upfront and then complete an international claim form to be reimbursed. If you local agent at Utah Avenue helped you sign up for the plan, they can help you fill out and file the claim.
To access your health plan while you're away, download the Regence app. You can find doctors in your network, pull up your virtual member ID card, and have all your health insurance information right at your fingertips. If you need to find a doctor, hospital, or clinic when you're away from home, you can use the Find a Doctor tool on regence.com or the Regence app. Make sure you sign in first, so your results will be in-network.
If you need urgent or emergency care while traveling, all Regence plans come with BlueCard coverage. When you arrive at the doctor's office or hospital, be sure to present your member ID card. After you receive care, you won't need to complete any claims forms, or pay upfront for any services outside the usual out-of-pocket expenses. Later, you'll receive an explanation of benefits (EOB) from Regence as usual.
Virtual care is also a convenient and affordable option when you're traveling in the U.S. You can visit with a doctor and get a diagnosis, treatment plan, and prescription sent to the nearest pharmacy. You can also talk to a nurse and get guidance anytime with Regence Advice24. Sign in to see the virtual care options available to you.
Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Utah understands the importance of having access to health care while traveling. With their BlueCard and Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core programs, as well as their easy-to-use app and virtual care options, Regence members can have peace of mind wherever they roam. Be sure to contact Regence Customer Service before traveling to ensure you have all the information you need to access your health coverage while away from home.
Here are a few more items you might want to consider adding to your international travel checklist:
1. Check your passport and visa requirements Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of your trip and that you have any required visas or other travel documents. Check the U.S. State Department website for more information.
2. Remember to bring any necessary medications, as well as a copy of your prescriptions. Check the weather and cultural norms of your destination to help guide your packing.
3. Don't forget to bring your Regence member ID card, as well as any other insurance cards you may have.
4. Get your finances in order Notify your bank and credit card company of your travel plans so they don't flag your transactions as fraudulent. Research the currency and exchange rates of your destination so you can have the appropriate cash or credit cards on hand.
5. Prepare your electronics. Check the electrical outlets and voltage of your destination, and bring the necessary adapters and converters for your devices. Back up important documents and information on a secure cloud-based service or physical storage device.
6. Stay connected. Consider purchasing an international data plan or a local SIM card for your phone, or downloading a messaging app that works over Wi-Fi. Have important phone numbers and contacts stored in multiple places in case you lose your phone.
7. Check out the area around where you’re staying and find the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core doctors or hospitals. Note their locations and phone numbers and download the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core mobile app.
8. It’s important to remember that in some countries, you may not be able to access U.S. websites like regence.com. So be sure to have all the information you need handy—and written down—in case you can’t sign in.
By taking the time to prepare before your trip, you can have peace of mind knowing you have the information and resources you need to stay healthy and safe while traveling abroad.
If you're considering a Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Utah marketplace plan, a local agent can help you navigate your options and find a plan that best fits your needs and budget. Regence has a network of licensed agents who can provide personalized guidance and support to help you understand the benefits and coverage of each plan. You can visit a Regence office or contact an agent at Utah Avenue to learn more about Regence plans and get help with the enrollment process. An agent can also answer any questions you have about travel coverage and how your plan works when you're outside of Utah.